Thursday, October 16, 2008

Organization

There's something to be said for being organized. I used to be extremely organized with everything. Somewhere along the line, I lost that skill. And I blame my husband. We've been married for almost 6 years and I think that's when it started. And it got really bad once I had my first daughter, 2 1/2 years ago. And even worse while I was pregnant with our youngest, who will be 2 months old on Sunday. I'm talking to the point of not paying bills. It's not that the money wasn't there, I just couldnt' find the time/energy/desire to do it, or much of anything else. Luckily, I married a wonderful guy and he did everything! Laundry...dishes....bathing our daughter....cooking....cleaning. I kept promising that it would be better once the baby was here.

And now to the point of my post....the organization is coming back. But, really, I've been left with no choice. I have two small children and my husband and I both work full time. So, our nightly routine is a bit chaotic. ...pick up the girls, fix dinner, get baths, pack lunches, clean up dinner, pick up toys, lay out clothes for the next day...and I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Oh yeah, bedtime for our oldest, which requires us to sit on the floor outside of her room, until she falls asleep, which can take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and a half. :-) So, last night was evening 4 of that routine and we've been doing really well.

What I didn't expect was my eagerness to clean. Apparently, when I'm not staring at a sink full of dishes, because they've actually been washed and put away, I find I have the desire to wash the floor. Let me say that again....wash the kitchen floor. We've lived in our house for 3 1/2 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I've cleaned that floor. (did I mention I have a wonderful husband!?!?) This organization thing came to a new level last night. Not only did I clean the floor, but I even cleaned the powder room. Again, not something I do on a regular basis. Usually, I just invite someone over so it forces us to get it done! But, it got done last night, and we have no plans to have company. And then, I folded all the laundry we had been doing all night. Can you say PRODUCTIVE? Now, the laundry didn't actually get put away, which is something else we've always slacked on. We usually pull our clothes out of the laundry basket to wear. But we're turning over a new leaf and it'll get done tonight or maybe tomorrow, but it'll get done!

And my eating seems to be falling in line with all that organization. I plan my food for the next day and pack it for work. It helps me stay focused and an added bonus....I'm saving money!

One last thought...
Productivity = Motivation
The more productive I am, the more motivated I am to do everything! Turning off the TV helps too!!

2 comments:

Angie said...

Wow! Great post, I feel so much better if I am organinized! I also feel more productive if I turn off the TV! Good luck with OSB! I just joined and last week I lost two pounds!

Ashley said...

you are sooo right. it is all about being organized and being prepared. i start failing when i am not prepared or organized for the next day. that is why i have to plan ALL of my meals, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. i usually do it for 2 weeks at a time. Being prepared is what saved me!
so glad that things are going well for you. and that things are now cleaner :)